Please review this Policy carefully to understand our practices.
This Site is not intended for children (i.e. under 18 years) and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
For ease of reference, the terms below as used in the Policy have the following meaning:
- Account means the account you create when registering as a user on the Site to enable you access some of the Services.
- Personal data means information relating to you and which can identify you as an individual (whether on its own or taken with other information). It does not include aggregated or anonymized data, which is information that can no longer identify you.
- Site means, together or individually as applicable, the cars.mwanachicredit.com
- Services means such services made available, accessed, published or otherwise offered through the Site.
Mwananchi Credit Limited is the data controller and responsible for your personal data (referred to as “we”, “us” or “our” in this Policy).
- Identity information such as your first name, maiden name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, nationality, date of birth or gender.
- Contact Information such as your billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers, the name of your business, and/or location;
- Professional information such as qualifications, employment history, current job function, availability for employment, and/or other information relating to your employment. Professional information is collected from users of brightermonday.co.ke only;
- Financial information such as bank account, payment card details, and/or monthly income.
- Verification information such as your government issued national identification or passport,, KRA PIN certificate, business permits, company incorporation certificates, and/or location;
- Account information relating to the use of the Site including profile data such as your username, password, orders, interests, preferences, survey responses and/or feedback;
- Automatic information and information about your device including technical data (internet protocol (IP) address, login data, time zone setting, browser type and version, location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and/or other technology on the devices you use to access the Site. Note that this automatic information and device information is used to screen for potential risks and fraud, to improve and optimize the Site, to ease access to the Site, and to carry out upgrades, data analysis, and improve the Services. You can set your browser to refuse all or some browser cookies, but this will make some parts of the Site inaccessible or not function properly.
- Vehicle information including vehicle identification and ownership documents; and
- Marketing and communications data such as your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.
We do collect sensitive personal data about you. This includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data. We also collect information about criminal convictions and offences.
WHAT IF I DON’T WANT TO PROVIDE ANY PERSONAL DATA
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
HOW DATA IS COLLECTED
We collect personal information:
- That you provide to us directly for example through the Site, on the phone or through any other communication;
- We obtain from other sources;
- Using cookies, logs, web beacons, tags, pixels and other internet technologies (used to record information about how you browse the Site), for example the technical data.
ACCURACY OF THE DATA
It is important that the personal data we hold is accurate and current to enable us deliver the Services. As such, please keep us informed if your personal data or any other information changes in the course of your use of the Site.
You guarantee and declare that you are the owner of the information you submit on the Site or share with us, or that you have the rights necessary rights to do so. You also guarantee and declare that it is exact, true and verified, and the use of the information is not contrary to this Policy or applicable laws and will not damage a third party’s reputation. You accept full and complete liability for any information that is contrary to this Policy or any applicable laws.
USE OF THE COLLECTED DATA
How we use your personal data depends on the Services you are accessing. We will use your personal data:
- To provide you with the Services, in particular:
- Connect you to a buyer or seller, as the case may be; and
- Run targeted marketing campaigns (Pigiame).
- To contact you about the Services, events and promotions (where you have agreed to us doing so);
- To comply with our legal obligations;
- To perform a task in the consideration of the greater public interest;
- Where necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests; and/or
- Where the personal data is required for statistical or research purposes.
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data although we will get your consent before sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
The data provided is processed and stored for account and listing purposes, as each user needs a unique identifier and, in this case, we use your information as part of your account on our platform, to ensure all listings and information provided is stored within your account on our platform.
You as a user can request deletion of your data via customer care on the platform. Within your profile, on your Pigiame account you can request a full data export, in which we will send you a file with all the information you have given us whilst using the platform.
If you are a registered user of the Site, you are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and login name. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account. You must immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your login name or any other breach of security known to you.
The security and integrity of your personal data is important to us and we have in place appropriate security measures and take all due care to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee its absolute security since there is no method of transmission over the internet or method of electronic storage that is fully secure. We disclaim all liability to you to the greatest extent possible under the law should such a breach of security occur.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Except as specified in this Policy, we will not disclose your personal data to third parties without your consent. Depending on the Services, we may share your personal data with:
- Internal third parties such as companies within the Group and who are based in Kenya and South Africa;
- External third parties such as service providers (for example, Amazon Web Services, Flutterwave, Cellulant, MailChimp), Kenya Revenue Authority, employer end users, Facebook Analytics;
- Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal data in the same way as set out in this Policy
Depending on the Services you are accessing, we may share certain personal information with third parties to help us use your personal information. For example, for users of Pigiame, buyers and sellers have access to each other’s contacts. We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We will sometimes redirect to other websites to contact the seller. Due to Kenya Data Protection Act restrictions, we are not authorized to display the seller’s number unless permission is given.
TRANSFER OF DATA
Your personal information may be transferred outside Kenya either for ease of delivery of Services, storage or other necessary form of processing. When such transfer is necessary and for your benefit, we ensure an appropriate and similar degree of protection is afforded to it by requiring implementation of relevant safeguards by the recipient of the personal data as required by the law in Kenya.
Your sensitive personal data will also be transferred outside of Kenya for the same reasons as described above in this section. By accepting this Policy, you are providing us with your express consent to the transfer of your personal data as laid out above. We will ensure an appropriate degree of protection is afforded to the transfer of sensitive personal data outside of Kenya by requiring implementation of relevant safeguards.
Please contact us if you would like further information on this.
RETENTION OF DATA
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. Your personal data may be retained for a longer period where there has been a complaint or there is a prospect of litigation with respect to your use of the Site.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising. You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or purchased goods or services from us and you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product/service purchase, product/service experience or other transactions.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (Google Ireland Limited, Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland). Such use includes the ‘Universal Analytics’ mode of operation. This makes it possible, if a user is logged into a Google service, to assign data, sessions and interactions across multiple devices to a pseudonymous user ID and thus to analyse the user’s activities across such devices.
If you wish to prevent the collection of data regarding your activity on our website by Google Analytics, you can use Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/. You can also prevent the storage of cookies by adjusting your browser software accordingly.
We regularly review and update this Policy in order to reflect changes to our practices, for operational, legal or regulatory reasons, and for any other purpose. Any revisions to this Policy will be uploaded to the Site and such upload will be deemed to be sufficient communication to you. Where you are a registered user, we may elect, in our own discretion, to notify you of any revision through a notice on your account.
Last updated: 11th April 2022